Folie à Deux
by Andy Joppa
As any sane person survey’s the behavior and chosen actions of those on the political Left, the question must be asked, “How can that many people be involved with activities that appear to be so consistently delusional and detached from all reality?” As we watched with repugnance, the emotional breakdown of Hillary supporters after her defeat in 2016, and the continuing assault, without significant reason, on President Trump, it appears to cross the line from mere political fanaticism into what seems to be some variation of a mental illness. This illness seems so widespread, and consistent in its manifestation, that it demands consideration be given to an attempt to offer explanation. That many of the same types, dedicated to the same purpose, appear at the same place, at the same time, cannot be by pure chance.
Our understanding can start with Scottish journalist Charles Mackay in his 1841 book, Extraordinary Popular Delusions and the Madness of Crowds, where he chronicled the history of the phenomena we now see gripping the entire political Left. Mackay observed, “We find that whole communities suddenly fix their minds upon one object, and go mad in its pursuit; that millions of people become simultaneously impressed with one delusion, and run after it, till their attention is caught by some new folly more captivating than the first.” So, we are currently experiencing with the Trump resistance movement, an expression of a disorder that has a long and disturbing history.
Further investment in this area, leads us to the psychological concept of Folie à deux, or shared psychosis. This is a psychiatric syndrome in which symptoms of a delusional belief and sometimes hallucinations are transmitted from one individual to another. The same syndrome shared by several people can be called folie à plusieurs (“the madness of several”).
Various sub-classifications have been proposed to describe how the delusional belief comes to be held by more than one person. Folie simultanée describes the situation where two people considered to suffer independently from psychosis, are influenced by the content of each other’s delusions, so they become identical or strikingly similar. The emotional breakdown at the Javits Center by hundreds of Clinton supporters documents this characteristic. This was not merely “disappointment”…it was an expression of a severe psychological disorder. As amusing as it was to watch, it was like “synchronized crying”, I’m sure those so effected were in pain.
This can be extended into the continuing, generally irrational assault on the president, as a large number of Leftists have come to believe obviously false and potentially damaging things based purely on hearsay or what they made up in their basement. These beliefs of the unified Left are not considered to be clinical delusions but are labelled, instead, as mass hysteria.The behavior has been found in humans, other primates, and dogs.
So, why tell you all of this? Perhaps you’ll have the same reaction as I did to the type of insight I’ve supplied. Instead of my continuing to believe that all the members of the political Left are the most devious, malevolent, unethical, deceitful, immoral, malignancies that have ever existed on this planet…just, debatably, slightly higher on the life scale than sewer rats, I now, being as compassionate as I am, just see them as loony, crazy, weirdos, experiencing chronic damage as a result of hanging around with other psychotics, having hippie parents, and imbibing strange substances. In this holy weekend…I offer, “Forgive them, for they know not what they do.”
I’ve talked to several psychologists about anything that might prove to be therapeutic for these tragic souls that have been so deprived of any intellectual rigor and emotional stability. What they’ve suggested is this:
· They must be deprived of all funds that might be used to feed their insanity.
· They must not be listened to, since isolation for them is beneficial.
· They must never hold public office as that deepens their syndrome.
· It is best to just ignore them as this tends to bring them back to semblance of normalcy.
· They must be prevented, at all cost, of watching, Rachel Maddow, Don Lemon, Joe Scarborough or a myriad of other Leftist commentators. They have been determined to be carriers of the disease.
· Before saying anything negative about President Trump, they must first say something positive. This may be the most difficult therapeutic hurdle that any of them face.
· They must each be required to house two central American families in their homes for a minimum of two years.
· They must be deprived of their right to worship some among them as gods..that includes, Hillary Clinton, Barack Obama, Ocasio-Cortez and Al Franken.
· They must not be allowed to carry sharp objects and, regardless of how much I support the second amendment, none of them should be allowed to own a firearm.
· They should never be left alone with your money…or your vote…both are too tempting within their compulsions.
Sure, they may be worthy of our contempt, but they need our help…not our contempt. Let’s all agree to help these poor lost, demented, drooling souls, find their way. They are very sick people and should be regarded as such.
NOTE: In case you want to know… Yes, writing this felt very good.